2015 has certainly been a roller coaster of a year. I thought that by 29, I would have my life somewhat figured out, but it turns out I still have a lot to learn about myself as a coach, athlete and person. In the spirit of reflection, here are 15 random realizations that, although I may have known before, have become very obvious to me over the past year, in no particular order:
- If you want something, go out and get it. Don’t wait for it to come to you. And certainly don’t wait for someone else to get it for you, or you could be waiting for a really long time.
- Surround yourself with people that make you laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. Laughter and puppies.
- There is nothing more important than sleep. And paying for a cab to get to work at 5:30am is totally worth that extra half hour.
- Getting big and strong requires more food than you could ever imagine.
- Watching HGTV is the best way to unwind before bed.
- Following your heart is good, but be aware that it often leads to heartbreak. Don’t be foolish.
- Always end your workout on a good note, never leave the gym feeling like you suck.
- Half ass effort gets half ass results. If you want to win, you have to be all in.
- If you believe that everything happens for a reason, it makes the tough times a little easier to handle.
- If you don’t fold your laundry in the laundry room, it will never get folded.
- Never expect anything from anyone, and you’ll never be disappointed.
- People are much more likely to call you out for why you did wrong than for what you did right. Aim to do more things right.
- Sometimes it’s just best to smile and pretend that everything is OK. Keep yourself busy and try not to think too much.
14. Good friends are priceless. They are the ones who will pick you up when you’re down, pull you out of your slump, distract you when you need to forget. The times when you want to shut everyone out are the times you need them the most.
15. Never take yourself too seriously.
Now it’s time to set some goals for 2016. Another year will be gone before we know it!